Third Party Politics
Dick Meyer imagines a third party with a slate of high-profile Senate candidates, and a ticket in 2008 of Michael Bloomberg and Anthony Zinni. This party will have no platform, but will have a core of pragmatism:
- hostile to budget deficits and billing our debts to our children;
- conservative when it comes to conserving and preserving the environment, safety, communities and social traditions;
- intolerant of not solving solvable, manmade problems like the lack of health care insurance and pensions;
- defensive, wary, not cocky, not very intellectual and sometimes humanitarian in its foreign policy;
- belligerent toward the custom of making hot button side issues (gay marriage, flag-burning, partial birth abortion, arts funding, a Spanish national anthem) the main issues; and
- intolerant of the practice of paying crooks with taxpayer dollars.