The Middle Class Vote
Lots of people bemoan the fact that the Democratic Party does not connect with white middle class voters, but few of the complainers offer workable solutions.
Third-Way, a "center progressive" think tank made up of former Democratic Congressional and White House staffers, has now addressed this issue with some real insight.
Here are some of Third-way’s specific proposals:The full study has lots more.
(1) Get the nation’s fiscal house in order by controlling entitlement spending, reining in budget deficits and “holding the federal government to the same standards of efficiency and competitiveness that are demanded of the nation’s companies and workers.”
(2) Invest in infrastructure to create jobs of the future by investment in research and pure science and wiring the nation for advanced information technology.
(3) Help businesses keep jobs in America by containing health care costs, lifting some of the burden of retirement security off of business and punishing countries that use unfair trade tactics that harm American companies.
(4) Make college the goal of all young Americans by expanding the tax deductibility of college tuition for middle class parents.
(5) Provide all Americans with affordable health insurance in the form of “competition-based health care reform.”