Friday, March 10, 2006

Totten In Iraq

Michael Totten visits Biara, a village on the Iranian border that was occupied by Zarqawi and Ansar al Islam before the U.S.-led invasion. Totten explores a mosque that was once the terrorist leader's home:
“Zarqawi destroyed the tombs,” the caretaker said. “He and his men turned this room into a toilet.” He shook his head in disgust at the filthy Islamists who fouled their Islamic shrine. Muslims who say Al Qaeda is not really Islamic may have a point.

“You see that there in the floor?” he said. “That’s where they began to install plumbing.”

I braced myself. “How do you feel about the U.S. bombing this mosque?” I said.

“I don’t know,” he said, as if he had never even pondered the question. “It’s okay, I suppose. I am grateful. If they had not done it this place would still be a toilet.”