Monday, December 05, 2005

Mark Warner's New Routine

Virginia governor Mark Warner, a potential 2008 presidential candidate, spoke on Saturday night at the Gridiron Club winter dinner in Washington.
As you know, many Virginians went on to become president of the United States -- Washington, Jefferson, Madison. Eight Virginians in total have served as president. That means for every six presidents, you get a Virginian."

Warner, who was born in Indiana and raised in Connecticut, continued, "And we haven't had one since our 28th president, Woodrow Wilson. So we're due. We're overdue, in fact.

"And I tell you this, ladies and gentlemen, for one simple, obvious reason -- George Allen told me to."
"One of the things I'm most proud of is my commitment to bipartisanship," said Warner, who has formed a national fundraising committee and visited such key presidential states as New Hampshire and Iowa.

"That's why, if I do run for president, I may ask Senator Allen to be my running mate. Think about it -- what's more presidential than this:

"I'm a red-state governor, who failed at a couple of businesses, and I liked to party too much in college, and I recently got in a well-publicized bike accident," Warner said.

"He's a guy named George who's done nothing more than live off his dad's legacy. Together we wouldn't just get elected president -- together, we already are the president."