Friday, August 26, 2005

Media Watch-NPR

Solomonia has a post about Mariam Sobh, who wrote for the Daily Illini, the student newpaper at the University of Illinois, while she was studying journalism there. Solomon chronicles her backround, which includes placing fabrications in her anti-Israel, and ( if there's a difference) anti-Semitic articles.

Possibly her most egregious column was "Stop Turning a Blind Eye". From CAMERA:
Mariam Sobh introduced her Dec 11 [2003] piece with the following statement, purportedly uttered by Ariel Sharon, in order “to show a clearer picture of the Israeli leadership:”

"I don't know something called International Principles. I vow that I'll burn every Palestinian child (that) will be born in this area. The Palestinian woman and child is more dangerous than the man, because the Palestinian child's existence infers that generations will go on, but the man causes limited danger. I vow that if I was just an Israeli civilian and I met a Palestinian I would burn him and I would make him suffer before killing him. With one hit I've killed 750 Palestinians (in Rafah in1956). I wanted to encourage my soldiers by raping Arabic girls as the Palestinian woman is a slave for Jews, and we do whatever we want to her and nobody tells us what we shall do but we tell others what they shall do," Prime Minister Ariel Sharon said in an interview with General Ouze Merham in 1956.

This shocking quote, a staple on Arab propaganda Web sites, is an internet hoax for which the journalism student, not surprisingly, provided no source. There is no record of any “General Ouze Merham” or any truth to the claim that Sharon made the quoted comments. The paper’s decision to run such an inflammatory statement with no attribution is indefensible.
Ms. Sobh is now working for an affiliate of National Public Radio.